Welcome to the Bank Holiday Open Mike Monday. This week, OMM features my friend Helen Armfield. Helen’s a journalist,writer, alla round genius and one of my fellow Million Word Challenge participants. She’s also the keeper of Doing Forty Things By Forty which is linked here and has a deep, abiding love for food which is both tasty and a little different. She’s great, she does great work and it’s a pleasure to have her.
Also, I now desperately need to bake this.
- 1/2 cup nut butter, almond or hazelnut
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 1/4 cup grated cucumber, stand and drain for a little. reserve liquid.
- 1/4 cup mashed banana
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup gluten free flour (50/50 mix of doves farm white bread and SR)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded courgette
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (vegan if desired)
- 1/2 to 1 cup nuts or fruit
- Preheat oven to 180 Celius. Grease and line baking dish.
- In a large bowl cream together nut butter, drained cucumber, banana, agave and vanilla until smooth. Add in courgette, cocoa, and flours; mix until well combined. (the courgette will look all lumpy, but keep going it will all work together. Gently fold in the chocolate chips and any nuts or fruit.
- Pour batter into prepared dish and bake for 15 minutes or until a knife inserted into middle comes out almost clean, and is hot to the touch. Leave to stand in the tin for a further 10 minutes, (oven off and door ajar if you can)
- Cool brownies completely on wire rack then cut into squares. Enjoy!