Happy almost New Year everyone!
Awards season returns, like that panto veteran you’re sure died years ago and in fact, may have…
Last year I had a really pleasant surprise when I placed on the long list for Best Fan Writer. I have to be completely honest, I would love to be a nominee this year and I put together a lot of work I’m very proud of. You can see full details of it below so, if you’re eligible to nominate for Dublin, please consider me for your Best Fan Writer ballot. Thank you and happy reading!
The big change to my publishing schedule in 2018 was more closely aligning my blog and newsletter. The Full Lid is my weekly dose of pop culture enthusiasm and I love doing it. I’ve also started running pieces from there on the blog and using them as the foundation for community news announcements and original pieces. Here are some of the ones I’m happiest with.
- The 2018 Parsec Situation
- The Kitschies Gold Tentacle Award Presentation 2018
- Worldcon Week: Pink, Chrome, Next and My Week in Greendale
- Mr Burt
- Stan’s Town
- Princesses of Power
While the podcast itself is eligible for Best Semiprozine, the work I did for it in isolation is eligible for Best Fan Writer. That’s almost a year of outros, and of all of them, these are the ones I’m proudest of:
In addition, 2018 saw the start of Flashback Friday, a regular spot on Escape Pod where I take a look at a classic story from the show’s past. This is GREAT fun and I was especially pleased to get a chance to talk about this extraordinary piece from Malon Edwards again.
(Eligibility begins with Everything You Need to Know about Philip K. Dick’s Electric Dreams and ends with Five B-List Movie Monsters Who Deserve a Bigger Following
I covered a lot of ground at Tor this year but these are the pieces I’m proudest of.
- Don’t Underestimate the Genius of “The Deep” on This Year’s Hugo Ballot
- Essential Viewing: The Films of Guillermo del Toro
- How Jordan Peele’s GET OUT Made Low-Budget Horror Oscar-Worthy
- Playing Favorites with the Clarke Award Shortlists, 1987-2018
(Eligibility starts with Brooke Bolander on Radium Girls, Elephants, and Remembering the Worst of History in The Only Harmless Great Thing and finishes with Women Redefine the Space Race in Mary Robinette Kowal’s Lady Astronaut Novels)
I got to interview some incredible people at B&N this year as well as take a deep dive into some of my favorite pieces of modern SF. Here are the standouts for me:
- Brooke Bolander on Radium Girls, Elephants, and Remembering the Worst of History in “The Only Harmless Great Thing”
- The Lady Astronaut of Mars Returns: Mary Robinette Kowal on Crewed Spaceflight, Zero-G Fruit Roll-Ups, and The Calculating Stars
- Women Redefine the Space Race in Mary Robinette Kowal’s Lady Astronaut Novels
I was especially pleased with a couple of this year’s which tapped a healthy deposit of my usual boundless enthusiasm and optimism and the pragmatic horror 2018 demanded.
Thanks for your consideration, folks. Happy nominating!