Hello Hugo voters!
Thanks so much for stopping by. I’m Alasdair Stuart, a finalist for this year’s Best Fan Writer Hugo and this is my eligibility packet. One of the few perks of most of my work being unpaid is I can easily make it available for voters and non-voters alike.
A quick note about format. The Best Fan Writer Hugo is somewhat unique in that it seeks to honor an individual’s body of eligible work, not a single creative effort. Last year I learned that Hugo voters take a variety of approaches when considering what they feel ‘eligible work’ includes, along variables like publication market, format and pay rate.
To empower voters in their decision making, I’ve prepared this material two ways:
- If you’d like to review everything I selected as outlined below, go for this consolidated PDF. You’re all set — happy reading!
- If you wish to be more selective in your consideration, or if a single large file doesn’t work for you, check out the individual entries linked below.
Layouts have been modified for ease of PDF reading where possible. I’ve also included links for podcast commentaries in case you would prefer the original audio presentation. Please note that a few stories contain content warnings, which are duplicated.
And as mentioned in my 2019 eligibility post, I’ve also listed pay rates for every piece. Transparency in the economics of nonfiction writing is important to me, and this is me doing my part to raise awareness of this issue.
Thank you once again, everyone. It’s an honour to be nominated.
All the best,
The Full Lid (my free weekly pop culture newsletter)
- 31st October full issue
- 29th November full issue
- 30th August full issue
- ‘Apollo at 50’ (from the 26th July issue)
- ‘Starfish’ (from the 21st June issue)
- ‘This Is How You Lose The Time War’ review (from the 16th August issue)
- ‘Green Lantern: Far Sector Issue 1’ review (from the 15th November issue)
PseudoPod (I co-own EA, PseuodPod’s publisher)
- Commentary on episode 660, ‘Tiny Teeth’ (9th August)
- Commentary on episode 663, ‘Birds of Passage’ (1st September)
- Commentary on episode 678, ‘The Boy Who Killed His Mother’ (6th December)
- Commentary on episode 679, ‘The Woman Out of The Attic’ (13th December)
Escape Pod (I co-own EA, Escape Pod’s publisher)
- Commentary on episode 681, ‘That She Mighty Fly’ (23rd May)
- Commentary on episode 710, ‘Requiem Without Sound’ (12th December)
Ditch Diggers (USD$40 per column)
- ‘RPGs, I Love You, But You’re Bringing Me Down’ (27th June) (PDF)
- ‘Closed Captions, Open Pockets’ (1st August) (PDF)
Not The Fox News (£15 per column)